Monday, May 23, 2011

Soane house

cross-section
plan

I've investigated the John Soane Museum (as suggested by Celia) as a bit of inspiration for the spatial qualities of rooms and the kind of sectional relationship I wish to achieve in my design. As is evident in the section drawing above, Soane (who designed and lived in the house) created large, open spaces to house his art/antique collections whereas more private rooms were kept at a smaller scale and were more enclosed. This is similar to the way Loos treated spaces in Villa Muller, with the rooms he felt were of the highest importance being a larger scale than others.

In my design I wish to establish a similar relationship between the room's intended use and its spatial qualities - sketches of this development to come.

No comments: